Tuesday 28 January 2014

City of bridges

So, apparently DaNang is the city of bridges. I am told it has 7 in total. I can usually see 4 at once, so I will have to make an effort to go find the other 3.

First: the bridge I cross pretty much every day. I think this one is called the Han Bridge. Which a pretty uninspiring name, considering it is the Han river.

It is hard to really display how cool this bridge is in photos, because it is a constantly changing light show, with different colours and patterns of lights running up and down the bridge. I am also led to believe that this bridge swivels in some way and opens up so that boats can go through. But I think that only happens in the middle of the night.




The second bridge I will mention tonight is called the dragon bridge.



Not only is is shaped like a giant golden dragon (it's gold during the day)..... it has colour changing lights the cycle through lots of colours, and change one little segment at a time, from the head all the way down to the tail.

Which seems pretty cool for a bridge. I mean, you have already designed an awesome bridge, but for DaNang... it was not enough.

So the dragon breathes fire



It also sprays water out of it's mouth..... but I had put my camera away before that started.
So yep, ok DaNang, you have a giant dragon shaped bridge, with multi-coloured lights that breathes fire and water on special occasions. No still not enough, the bridge does it's fire breathing show on Saturday and Sunday nights every week, as well as special occasions and perhaps also Thursday nights (we had conflicting stories about the bridge light time). So 2 (or 3) times a week the traffic stops for about 15-20 minutes while the dragon does his thing.

Alright, I am suitably impressed by the insane bridge!

I will endeavour to photograph that other 2 bridges nearby.... and try to find 3 more! As a hint, one is called the rainbow bridge, one the sail bridge :)


1 comment:

  1. The bridges are beautiful I can see that they re worth the walk and the wait. I am loving your blog. Good to see you well and busy as,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete