Sunday 9 February 2014

dont travel during Tet! just dont.

Yesterday I met a family of aussies, ended up having breakfast and dinner with them....in 2 different towns!
They asked how my Tet was, and I raved excited as in my Tet post. Friendly people, celebration, eating, music, eating.
I looked at them closer, They looked tired, and brow beaten... oh, yeah... how has that gone for you guys... I was specifically told not to travel during Tet. Interesting, none of the guide books say, in giant red letters (or any letters), do not travel during Tet!

Buses and trains are full of people traveling to see families. Reputable businesses, especially tourist companies are closed. If the company is open for business. the staff are likely unhappy as they are not making the once year pilgrimage home to see family. And instead of starting the year happy and relaxing, they are working and angry.
It also becomes more impossible to tell, am I paying more because Tet (prices do rise, significantly for some things), am I paying more because white, is it both?

If buses aren't already full... It's because there are 30 people in an 18 seater (they counted). This works by a combination, many people on each seat, and these little metal stools they put in the walkway when they run out of seats.

I really felt for this poor family, they had bad travel timing, and by the soundsalso the worst luck with people trying to scam them ($5 for w coconut?) Seems excessive. but, they laughrd about it, remembered the great parts of travelling and had a memorable family holiday!
Pity they are leaving now... just when things go back to normal!

But lovely people, was much better than eating by myself!.

So, remember... don't try to move around during Tet! Take a few days off to relax in one place, you might even get invited to a local party that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment