Saturday 10 May 2014

Photo tour



Last weekend I headed back to Hoi An (a town that I find has distressingly harass-white-people-until-they-buy-crap type of ethos) for a photo tour. The basic idea that we can go to small villages and areas that it is hard to get to solo, plus get photography tips.


Taking her goods home from the markets

Hoi An river by night

And I discovered an awesome thing about taking the close, personal photos of people. You get the time, and don't need so much language, to make a connection with people. I was able to see how entertained people are by making the effort to have some (albeit limited) language compared to the people without any Vietnamese. People are so happy at just being able to say hi, to ask how old I am, or where I am from.... and the only slightly less common third question - which I have only started understanding this last week - are you married yet?
sorting, and selling her fish
When I try to have conversations with local people, I run out of Vietnamese in a minute.... or less. Then we sit awkwardly..... them being too polite to walk off straight away and trying to say things I don't understand, me trying desperately to remember how to say anything else and work out what they are telling me!
This girl was very excited to come out and say hi.... then shyly
run and hide behind the wall

However, when I go with my camera, say hi, ask how they are, then hold up the camera questioningly they usually nod and smile. And get very excited when they look at their photos on the screen. Often then calling more people over to look, laugh and have their photo taken. Occasionally claiming they are "ugly"... then laughing hysterically when I say no no no, not ugly.... beautiful - they always assume I won't understand.


On the ferry back to town

So on the first day we were up at 4.30 and off to a little fishing village. Only access is currently via ferry but they seem to be building a giant bridge. I believe to provide access for a future giant gold course. we went to the markets where the fishing boats come back and sell their catch on the side of the river.
This is a place that Etienne (the photographer) often goes with his half day tour. The locals are use to Westerners wandering around and taking photos. But because they aren't in Hoi an, they don't demand money from anyone taking their photo!
We also visited a fish sauce factory where I must have brushed up against something and ended up with some mysterious blog of terrible smelling (I have to assume fermented fish based) gunk on my shoulder.
Home for the hot and much to sunny middle part of the day, then back out in the afternoon to another small village. Up the river on a boat to the village with lots of friendly locals, and rice harvesting.
Lantern shop in Hoi An
Harvesting rice in the fields

 Day two, up even earlier and on a boat before the sun could rise. Worth it to see a particularly beautiful sunrise! We pursued a local market and then drove up the coast to some nice lagoons to work on landscape photography.
Sunrise over the fishing nets
Rice harvesters
Woman in the markets
Basket boat on the lagoon


Dawn on the lagoon

Day three was up before dawn and out the the lagoon to do some long exposure photography of the sunrise and spend time in the village.
The other half of the village is rice fields

Fisherman taking his gear home in the early morning

2 comments:

  1. Wow, such an insight into their lives & culture. What a privilege. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. People enjoy having you take photos Lucy-gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete