Sunday 2 March 2014

Photo galleries -> stuff on bikes

Most people are probably aware that motorbikes in Vietnam are used for any and everything.
From moving wardrobes to the family van or selling anything imaginable, often complete with crackling speakers that advertise whatever it is they are selling. My favourite "snack van" features a steal case on either side of the bike, on the left was a Perspex box containing bun bo (a steamed dumpling filled with meat and eggs). On the right hand side was a clay pot filled with burning charcoal and a pot in which to steam the bun bo.
Here are some of my favourites (at least, the favourites that I managed to snap photos of!)


push bikes are a favourite of the fake flower sellers.... I am not sure how there are so many fake flower sellers in Vietnam


The recycling collectors always have massive loads. I think the fact that people are able to be paid for recyclable objects means there is significantly less littering, only because when someone throws anything recyclable on the side of the road somebody will come past and find it.





mmmm fishy, Other food stuffs that I have regularly seen does include a spit roasted pig on a platter, so it was all cooked and ready to go. Kind of covered a little by some fly net (I think to try to prevent it getting dusty). The roads here are so dirty and dusty and busy, that glazed coating would have been pretty dusty by the time they got where ever they were going!


I will go ahead and assume that these boxes are empty, but this has to have some serious wind drag!


Also a regular on the back of bikes are large panes on glass. Like this door, they rely on a passenger holding the sides of the glass. Occasionally the glass holder has gloves. Often he just has a piece of cloth on either side.



This is 2 flatscreen tvs. I swear, one day I saw 6 flat screen tv's stacked up like this.... I couldn't believe it! especially because (while I haven't check the price of tvs..) luxury items are ridiculously expansive here, way more so than in Australia. I even know someone who purchased a macbook in Townsville and brought it back here because it was significantly cheaper. So stacking 6 tvs on a bike just seems risky!







This one is a water filter, What I particularly like, is the tendency to instead of tying things on.... just use one hand to hold it kind of!


While these bottles are empty, the most full bottles I saw at once was 6.


Cake shop! I think they are cakes.... weird green tea cakes or something.




These are paper models of a "house" thing that is burnt at Tet or when honouring ancestors. It is burnt because that signifies it being sent to the afterlife so that the ancestors can use it.



If you look closely.... he also has 3 boxes balances between his knees!



These ones were the special Tet flowers.




I do kind od wish I had stuck around long enough to find out if that third bag is also going onto the bike.


Jackfruits, or possibly Durian.... I can't tell from this far away




This one is a little cane highchair, that as far as I can tell has been specially designed to make it easier to carry small children. Another favourite is a padded strap that goes around the child's waist, and the parents to stop them falling off.


All manner of tasty looking fruit!


This is rats.... on their way to some restaurant. It's ok though, I was assured that these rats came from corn fields not rubbish tips..... so they're clean rats :S

No comments:

Post a Comment