Monday 8 September 2014

Saying goodbye, and hello

In  the last week or so we have said goodbye to two kids from the redcross orphanage,

Den,  this cheeky little munchkin is heading to Canada.  I met her new parents and her new big brother (a four year old from the north of Vietnam) at the orphanage on Thursday. 
Interestingly Den is usually a very outgoing and active kid. 
In fact when I arrived on Thursday and they told me she was leaving she was laughing and gave me a big hug.  Once the parents arrived she became very withdrawn and quiet.  She wasn't scared of them at all....  But it was obvious that she knows something big is happening,  and they are involved.  Their first child was adopted at 5 months old,  so the acclimatisation will be very different this time around!

This little lovely has also gone this week.  That day was crazy!  The carers were fussing about giving here a bath and dressing here in the new clothes and saying goodbye,  her parents arrived with two kids and all the other kids by this point were starting to rebel and demand attention.....  Then we turned up with half a dozen wet sandy kids we had taken to the beach and needed to wash and dress.  So a lot of chaos that day!










Then,  I walk into the physio room and discover a teeny tiny baby.  I am told he is 4 weeks old. 

He mostly hangs out in the physio room so they can lock the door and not have to constantly stop curious children from waking him,  or poking him in the face. 

Sometimes I just can't tell if some of the new babies who arrive here are small for their age, maybe due to being born early, being sick or not having enough food..... or if Vietnamese babies are just little compared to the Aussie babies I am used to! 



At the da nang baby orphanage I had to say goodbye on Friday.  Very hard! I just love these kids. We had a fun morning of drawing,  playing in the ballpit (they are not scared of it any more!) singing and cuddles. 
 I noticed a couple of babies sleeping on the baby bed but didn't look to see who they were until the carers pointed them out to me.  Turns out they were new babies.  Twins!  And only 10 days old,  so teeny tiny. 















No comments:

Post a Comment